Sunday, July 27, 2008

Attention Joss Whedon!

A couple weeks ago while being interviewed on the Wired blog Joss Whedon had the following exchange:

Wired.com: To what do you attribute the far-flung coverage and buzz about Dr. Horrible, considering there's been little to no press for the series?

Whedon: Fact is, there's been some buzz, but it hasn't reached the places it would normally. Where's our write-up in Crocheting Monthly? (I did a very sexy shoot for that one.)

Joss was joking and meant his comments in good fun. As a result Crochet Me has been inspired to unite crafty Whedon fans to show Joss just how much love he has in the crochet world and in the craftyverse in general. They're also hoping to snag an interview with the man himself so he can see how devoted and fun (and not scary!) we crocheters can be. You can read their detailed plan here and also learn what you can do to help. Among their suggstions: blog about the situation to help spread the word (done!), tell people you know who know people who know Joss, (working on it!) and show off your own crochet and other crafty projects that have been inspired by Joss's work (done!)

Currently I don't have to much Whedon related crafting to show off. I knitted a Jayne hat once, but I don't have any pictures of it. Pictured here is my Browncoat Snowman that was one of my first amigurumi projects. The idea was that he'd be something geeky I could put out at Christmas with all the more traditional holiday decorations, but truth be told, he's so cute he actually sits out all year round. Way back when I posted him on Craftster some people were actually a bit confused. Was there an episode of Firefly that they had missed in which the crew builds a snowman? Sadly, no. There's no secret missing episode that only I have access too. A girl can dream...

Anyways, I love the work of Joss Whedon and I think this a great little project that Crochet Me has going on. Joss may have made the comment jokingly, but I think he actually does get a lot of publicity (and admiration) from crocheters. I'm certainly not above using this blog to promote Joss's favourite charity or his latest amazingly, brilliant creation, Dr.Horrible. Seriously, this thing is great, if you haven't seen it yet, check it out. It's well worth the couple of dollars you'll have to spend on iTunes, I promise.

3 comments:

Geek Central Station said...

I did my part on my blog! I wonder if Joss will really take notice of all of the crafters out there. He seems like he's really friendly towards his fans, so who knows. Your little snowman is so cute!

Sherezada said...

Thanks for the heads up! I shared my BtVS cross stitch...hopefully it'll make a difference!

I love your little Jayne snowman. So cute! I'd keep him out all year long, too.

Anonymous said...

I just saw this post yesterday, and I got inspired to make a little Doctor Horrible for the cause. Of course, now my husband says I have to make Captain Hammer too, so he's next on my list.

You can see him at my Livejournal.