Tuesday, July 22, 2008

More Christmas In July!

I'm still thinking ahead and planning/making gifts for the coming Christmas. Today I thought I'd show another gift from Christmas past as well as one I may consider in the future.

Above is something I made myself. This Snowflake Afghan is a free pattern courtesy of Crochet Pattern Central that I came across and crocheted for my boyfriend's mom last winter. Pictures do not do this one justice, it is absolutely beautiful in real life and I highly recommend it if there's someone in your family you think it would appeal to. You have to crochet each hexagon motif separately and then sew them all together which can be a bit time consuming, but it's well worth it in the end.


I made this one using Bernat Satin in Admiral and Snow. I also reduced the pattern from 59 hexagons to 46. I think if I'd made it with as many as the pattern suggested it would have been big enough to cover a queen size bed and I was aiming for more of a lapghan size blanket.


Next up in my Christmas craft recommendations are these crochet trimmed tree ornaments made from old Christmas cards. These popped up on Craftster a few days ago and were created by panda who was good enough to include a tutorial demonstrating how she'd made them. Not only do they look beautiful, I think this is a great way to preserve cards that may have sentimental value or that you find are just too pretty to throw away. I haven't had a chance to try these yet. They look pretty simple though so I may have to pull out my stash of saved cards some night and give this a try.

No comments: