Monday, February 4, 2008

Cthulhu Pattern






These Cthulhus were the first thing I ever made from a pattern that I designed myself, which is why they have the honour of having the blog named after them. Truth be told I didn't so much make the pattern as made them up as I went along, but now I've got the pattern written out and ready to share. As always, contact me if you have any questions or if anything isn't clear.

Happy Crocheting!

Cthulhu Pattern

Materials
9 mm safety eyes (2)
1 skein green worsted weight wool
size F (3.75mm) crochet hook
yarn needle
fiber fill, or your preferred amigurumi stuffing

Special Stitches
Picot stitch: sc, ch 5 then double back inserting hook in middle of the top of the sc and through the middle of the legs of that sc as well, make a sl st to hold in place.

I'm using the picot stitch method that's described in The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. I understand there are other ways to make this stitch, and probably any of them would be fine for this pattern, the important part is to ch 5, and to only work in the front loop when indicated.

Head and Body

Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6sc)
Rnd 2: 2sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 3: *sc, 2sc in next st* around. (18sc)
Rnd 4: *sc in next 2 sts, 2sc in 3rd* around. (24sc)
Rnd 5: *sc in next 3 sts, 2sc in 4th* around. (30sc)
Rnd 6: *sc in next 4 sts, 2sc in 5th* around. (36sc)
Rnd 7: *sc in next 5 sts, 2sc in 6th* around. (42sc)
Rnd 8: *sc in next 6 sts, 2sc in 7th* around. (48sc)
for next 5 Rnds sc in each st around. (48 sc)
Rnd 14: sc in first 18 sts, *in front loop only picot stitch, sc* repeat six times, going through both loops of the stitch again sc to end of round.
Rnd 15: sc around, stitching in back loops behind the picot section from the previous row when necessary.
Rnd 16: *sc in first 6 st, dec in next st,* repeat around (42 stitches)
Rnd 17: *sc in first 5 st, dec in next st,* repeat around (36 stitches)
fix safety eyes in position (see photos)
Rnd 18: *sc in first 4 st, dec in next st,* repeat around (30 stitches)
Rnd 19: *sc in first 3 st, dec in next st,* repeat around (24 stitches)
Rnd 20: *sc in first 2 st, dec in next st,* repeat around (18 stitches)
for next 2 Rnds sc in each st around. (18 stitches)
Repeat Rnds 4 to 8 of pattern.
stuff head firmly
For next 6 Rnds, sc in each st around (48 stitches)
Rnd 34: *sc in first 6 st, dec in next st,* repeat around (42 stitches)
Rnd 35: *sc in first 5 st, dec in next st,* repeat around (36 stitches)
Rnd 36: *sc in first 4 st, dec in next st,* repeat around (30 stitches)
Rnd 37: *in front loop only picot stitch, sc* repeat around
sl st into next st (back loop from previous round), finish off

Base
Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6sc)
Rnd 2: 2sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 3: *sc, 2sc in next st* around. (18sc)
Rnd 4: *sc in next 2 sts, 2sc in 3rd* around. (24sc)
Rnd 5: *sc in next 3 sts, 2sc in 4th* around. (30sc)
sl stitch into next st, finish off.

Arms (make 2)
Rnd 1: 6 sc in magic ring (6sc)
Rnd 2: 2sc in each st around. (12sc)
Rnd 3: *sc, 2sc in next st* around. (18sc)
For next 3 rnds, sc in each st around (18 sc)
sl st into next st, finish off.

Wings (make 2)
The wings come from this pattern for a flying pig, but I've altered them slightly to this (changes only in the last step):

Ch 4. Turn and do 1 sc in each of next 3 ch sps. Ch 1, turn. 3 sc, ch 3. turn. 3 sc on chain, 3 hdc on the three sc. Ch1, turn. 3 sc, ch 4., 3 sc in chain, 3 hdc. Ch1, turn. 4 sc, ch 5, sl st in 2nd ch from hook, 3 sc in ch, 3 hdc, Ch 1, 4 sc, Ch 6, sl st in 2nd Ch from hook, sc 4, hdc 3, ch 3 *Work appox. 8 dc down the edge of wing opposite the feather ends. Sl St into first Ch, or near first Ch. Fasten off.

I got really confused by the wording "opposite the feather end" but what it means is the top of the wing. If you hold the wing so that the spikey bits face downward, then it's along the wobbly top line that you want to put that last row of dc's.

For the Boy Cthulhu I didn't do the last row of dc's so his wings are narrower, but they also keep trying to curl in on themselves. It's that last row along the top that makes everything lay flat.

Assembly

Stuff body firmly, sew base piece to bottom of cthulhu, whip stitching through the back loops that have been left in the last row of the body. When you have only about one inch left to whipstitch add more stuffing if necessary. Attach arms to body. Attach wings on back.

For Girl Cthulhu, add whatever accessories you like to make her look girly. This could be a crocheted flower, a bow on her head, scarf, purse, necklace, etc. Be creative!

10 comments:

Helen said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this pattern. I made one for my bro, who's into Munchkin Cthulhu. I had some rainbow yarn that I wanted to use for something... so he's alternately "Rainbow Cthultu", "Rasta Cthulhu" or "Gay pride Cthulhu", according to my friends...

Check him out at http://helenshantverk.fotopic.net/c1488474.html

: )
Helen

amber said...

Your Cthulhu looks very cute Helen. I really like the rainbow colours!

I didn't mention this in the original post, but I actually made my Cthulhu pattern because I wanted to make my boyfriend a crocheted Cthulhu to go along with a copy of Munchkin Cthulhu that I was giving him for his birthday. Strange coincidence.

Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

Hi, love the patterns can't wait to get started on Christmas presents. Thanks for sharing
Cindy

Anonymous said...

My Brother in Law LOVES Cthulhu and I want to make him this for him and my 1yr. old niece for Crhistmas. I may post for help later on. I might also put a pic of the finished product on my LJ, is that OK? I am an intermidiate crocheterI think I can make them. I hope they look as good as yours! Gen

amber said...

genvandevander, of course you can post pictures of anything you make using my patterns on your LiveJournal, or anywhere else online that you like.

If you need any help with the Cthulhu just post another comment. I'll try to answer your questions. And when you get it finished and post it on LJ let me know. I'd love to see your completed cthulhu!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! :)

Debora King said...

I have a friend that really wants a Cthulhu for her... now it is fashin the "My little Cthulhu" then I started zapping amigurumi blogs crazyly looking for these cute creatures... thanks God I've found you!
Thank you very much for sharing these two patterns!
I'll do one for my friend and I'm sure she is gonna love her Cthulhu.
Kisses from Brasil!

AmberDawn said...

Im making them for my best friend for her birthday! shes so excited!

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely perfect! I'm making 2 of these for friends for Christmas!

Rumah Dijual said...

Nice! I'm really love to reading this article!