Friday, March 7, 2008

Fone Bone of Boneville (with Free Pattern)

My boyfriend, who is both wise and witty, recently gave me three of the new colourized Bone graphic novels for my birthday. After staring at the pictures for a while I was inspired to make my own Fone Bone character. I think I could probably spend the rest of the year crocheting all the other non-human characters from the comics, but I think I'll try to restrain myself and only make Fone's cousins Phoney and Smiley. Okay, and maybe the baby rat creature Bartleby because he's just too cute to resist.

If anyone sees any problems in the pattern or has any questions please feel free to contact me.

**Update** I've also made some accessories and a backpack (with tutorial) for Fone Bone, which you can view here.



Fone Bone Pattern

Materials

white worsted weight yarn (one skein or less)
black felt
black embroidery thread
fiber fill or stuffing material of your choice
size G (4.25mm) Hook

Note: The head and nose pieces start separately and then are joined together later. I recommend starting with the nose, then stitching the head and body. The body and head are all one piece. I find this helps prevent the head from flopping around too much.

Nose
5 sc into magic ring
RND 1: 2 sc into each st around. (10 sts)
RND 2: *sc in first st, 2 sc into next st* repeat around (15 sts)
RND 3: *sc in first 2 st, 2 sc in next st* repeat around (20 sts)
RND 4-6: sc in each st around. (20)
Finish off, leave long tail for sewing.

Head
5 sc into magic ring
RND 1: 2 sc into each st around (10 sts)
RND 2: *sc in first st, 2 sc into next st* repeat around (15 sts)
RND 3: *sc in first 2 st, 2 sc in next st* repeat around (20 sts)
RND 4: *sc in first 3 st, 2 sc in next st* repeat around (25 sts)
RND 5: *sc in first 4 st, 2 sc in next st* repeat around (30 sts)
RND 6-10: sc in each st around (30 sts)
Now we attach the nose and head pieces together.
RND 11: instead of crocheting into head piece, sc into the first 15 stitches of the nose piece, then skip 5 stitches on the head, sc into 6th st on the head and continue sc around the head. (40 sts) Use the long tail from the nose piece to whipstitch the 5 sts you didn’t stitch on the nose to the five stitches you skipped on the head piece. Also use this thread to tighten up any holes near the joined pieces that are too large.
RND 12-14: sc into each stitch around (40 sts)
RND 15: *sc into first 6 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (35 sts)
RND 16: *sc into first 5 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (30 sts)
RND 17: *sc into first 4 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (25 sts)
RND 18: *sc into first 3 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (20 sts)
Place eyes and embroider mouth and eyebrows now.
RND 19: *sc into first 2 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (15 sts)
Now we start the body shape
RND 20: *sc in first 2 st, 2 sc in next st* repeat around (20 sts)
RND 21: *sc in first 3 st, 2 sc in next st* repeat around (25 sts)
RND 22-24: sc into each st around (25 sts)
RND 25: *sc in first 4 st, 2 sc in next st* repeat around (30 sts)
RND 26: *sc into first 2 st , 2 sc in next st* repeat around (40 sts)
RND 27-30: sc into each st around (40)
stuff head and nose section to your desired firmness level.
RND 31: *sc into first 6 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (35 sts)
RND 32: *sc into first 5 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (30 sts)
RND 33: *sc into first 4 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (25 sts)
RND 34: *sc into first 3 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (20 sts)
RND 35: *sc into first 2 sts, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (15 sts)
stuff body
RND 36: *sc into first st, dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (10 sts)
RND 37: *dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (5 sts)
Finish off and sew shut.

Arms(make 2)
5 sc into magic ring
RND 1: 2 sc into each st around (10 sts)
RND 2: sc into each st around (10 sts)
RND 3: *sc in first 4 st, 2 sc into next st* repeat around (12 sts)
RND 3: sc into each st around (12 sts)
RND 4: *dec over next 2 sts* repeat around (6 sts)
RND 5-7: sc into each st around (6sts)
Finish off, leave long tail for sewing. Stuff only the widest part of arms.

Legs (make 2)
6 sc into magic ring
RND 1-7: sc into each st around (6)
Finish off, leave tail for sewing. Legs are not stuffed.

Feet (make 2)

4 sc into magic ring
RND 1: 3 sc into first st, 2 sc into each st around (9 sts)
RND 2: 2 sc into each st around (18 sts)
RND 3-5: sc into each st around (18 sts)
RND 6: *sc into first 7 sts, dec over next two sts* repeat around (16 sts)
RND 7: *sc into first 2 sts, dec over next two sts* repeat around (12 sts)
RND 8: *sc into first st, dec over next two sts* repeat around (8 sts)
stuff foot
RND 9: *dec over next two sts* repeat around (4 sts)
Finish off. sew shut.

Assembly
Sew arms to body. Sew feet to legs and attach legs to body. Secure and hide all thread tails.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

cattiekit said...

OMG, this is the *cutest* thing! My fingers are itching to be done with that interminable blankie project so I can whip one of these Fone Bones! Though I feel strongly motivated to *cheat*. ;>)
You've done a great thing for all us amigurumi freaks out here. :>D

amber said...

I'm glad he's inspiring you cattiekit, even if it will distract you from another project. I'm like that too! I think next week I'm going to try to make Phoney Bone since he's going to be pretty similar to Fone. I'm looking forward to it, Phoney's fun!

Send me a pic of your Fone Bone when he's done I'd love to see him!

Anonymous said...

Ho !!
So cute ^^
I didn't know this comics. I just realized it's translated in France.
Next time I'll buy books, i'll take a look to see if I can find it !
Do you mind if I translate your free pattern into french ?
Please please please ^^

amber said...

Hi So,

Yes, you can translate the pattern as long as your French version is also free and you include a link to my original version. Glad you like the pattern and I hope you enjoy the Bone comics if you buy some.

If you make your own Bone characters please send me a picture. I'd love to see them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber,
Thank you for sharing.
Of course my translation will be free and you'll be linked on my blog.
I made a Bone yesterday, but mine is... purple ^^
I know bones aren't purple, but he's so cute ! He seems to have dived in a raspberry swimming pool !Please give me your email address, and I sent you pictures asap.
Thanks a lot, I'm very fond of this character.
I still haven't found comics...

amber said...

Hi So,

I can't think of a way to give you my e-mail address other than posting it here in the comments and I don't really want to make it that public. If you post the picture of your purple Bone somewhere online like on your blog, you can post the url address here in the comments and then I'll be able to have a look at him.

As to buying the comics, you may have to try comic book stores rather than regular bookstores. If that doesn't work you may want to try internet shopping. The English versions are always available on Amazon, but I'm not sure about the French ones.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber !
You can see your Fone Bone french pattern here : http://ousotisse.canalblog.com/archives/2008/04/24/8919904.html
Yesterday, I found and bought a french translation of the comics. I read it and I loved it !! I'll go to the bookstore this afternoon to buy some more !!
Thank you thank you !!

e l a n a said...

Best. Pattern. Ever.

As a fan of the comics myself, I often thought they would lend themselves well to soft toys.

I've a friend expecting later in the summer, so you KNOW her little one will be getting Fone or Phoney..or both ;o)

Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I made a Fone Bone based on yours! But I deviated quite a bit from your pattern. Only the head is the same. You can see it at: http://crafty-shanna.livejournal.com/5336.html

LadyBear said...

Thanks for this pattern! I just finished my Bone as a gift for a friend of mine for Christmas. He's kind of lopsided (I've only been crocheting off and on for about 2 years so I'm not very good at gauge and counting yet) but he's done, and I'm off to make his backpack now! :)

~A~