Monday, December 29, 2008

More Round Ripple Afghans!

As evidence on this blog would show I just love the round ripple afghan pattern. It's so easy to stitch and I find that if I put in about an hour of crocheting a day, I can get one of these done in about a week. Plus the pattern is so simple that once you have the basics down you don't have to look back at the pattern at all and can spend your crochet time in coversation or watching TV.

This first blanket I made back in the summer as a Christmas present for one of my girlfriends. The wool is Vanna's Choice in Denim Mist, Rose Mist, and Purple Mist. It's very soft and thick and I like how the white flecks carry through the whole blanket. I also made the blanket quite large, more of a bed covering than a lapghan.



Next up is a baby blanket that I made during the Christmas holidays for a friend of the family. Her first child is due in the spring so I have this one done a little early. It's based heavily on the round ripple baby blankets that you often see in the Mary Maxim catalogues. I've changed the order of the colours though to suit what I had on hand.



This one was made with various shades of Bernat's Baby coordinates. If you're interested in how I got the blended colour effect you can read about it in my previous post about this five point star blanket that I made. Yep, another star shaped blanket...I promise I'm branching out though. I've reccently been working on a square shaped blanket and discovered another pattern that I like almost as much as the round ripples. I'll try to show it off later this week.



Want the Pattern?
There are lots of variations of the round ripple pattern out there, but the one I like best is the free one you can find here.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought a pattern kit from herrschners. Its a round ripple afghan. Crochet. I followed the pattern to a tee and counted and recounted and I still have problems with the afghan curling up. I am making the stitches loose and I am using the size of hook they suggested. Now what am I doing wrong. I started over a dozen or more times. Can anyone help me?

Diane
Stormy4598@aol.com

amber said...

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the comment on my blog. You might want to compare the pattern you purchased to the free version found here. As you can see, it mentions in Rnd 9 how to alternate the rows so the blanket doesn't curl up. The only other thing I can think of is the type of yarn you are using is particularly prone to curling.

I invite others to chime in with free advice for you if they have any. As well, you may want to try describing your problem in the crochet questions forum on Craftster. Some of the experts there may be able to offer some suggestions.

Good luck,
Amber

Anonymous said...

I have been finding these round ripples here, there and everywhere. I just might have to give it a try. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic