Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dragon Gauntlet Gloves

You'll just have to trust me that these look better in person than they do in the pictures.

The pattern was created by Aoibhe Ni Shuilleabhain and was featured in issue 5 (Dec./Jan.) of the UK magazine Inside Crochet. I'm not normally a fan of crochet magazines. Most of the time I find they only have one pattern per issue that appeals to me so I try to resist the temptation. After picking up the magazine to look at these Dragaon Gauntlets during three different Christmas shopping trips to Chapters, I knew this was one temptation I couldn't resist. While the gloves are by far my favorite thing in the magazine, I also really liked this issue's featured article on Tunisian crochet and accompanying patterns. The scarf on the cover is also starting to appeal to me, even though I'm not a scarf wearer by nature.

I made my Dragon Gauntlets with Patons Kroy Socks FX in Clover. It's not the luxurious yarn recommended in the pattern materials, but I was considering these a practice pair since this was my first attempt at following UK crochet directions and the pattern was listed as "Intermediate." Thankfully the patten turned out to be quite simple to follow. If you've ever crocheted a shell stitch, you can make these. They are also fun and quick to work up. I finished this pair in a single weekend and now that they're done I'm considering them a belated Christmas gift to myself.

Below is the picture from Inside Crochet that first attracted me to this pattern. I like the Swamp green colours of the sample pair, but I've always had an attraction to any variegated yarn that uses autumn colours.


9 comments:

Debbie Barr said...

Those. Are. Awesome.

I think I need to make myself some.

amber said...

Thanks! It's definitely hard to resist making them:)

Jelibe said...

These are great aren't they! I made these for a friend for Christmas with King Cole Zig Zig in a varigrated browny, grey! These turned out really well, but took me ages to do the second one cause I keep muching them up. They were worth it though, my friend really loves her Christmas Presents.:D

amber said...

I know what you mean Jelibe, I had some trouble with the right glove too, but managed to fix it up. I didn't realize until after I was finished that the pattern designer had a couple of corrections posted on her website, here and here.

Deeners said...

Those are really nice. I might have to find that magazine to check it out. But I feel the same way about magazines. I usually require at least two patterns that I really like. I figure most for-sale patterns are around $5 (ish) so if I can get two patterns out of something that is 7-9 dollars, I came out on top. And I really like that yarn too. My friend made a pair of socks out of that colorway and I made a pair out of the pink/gray/blue color.

Diana Jiron Graff said...

they look very very beautiful! love the colour of the yarn you used

WeightWatcherGoneKeto said...

beautiful... I want the pattern...

Bookworm said...

I want the pattern too. But I'm looking and I can't find it. She doesn't have it on her site, just a link to where it appears in the magazine and a Ravelry link. And I know I wouldn't be able to find the magazine anywhere. I love long gloves and those are pretty awesome :'(

amber said...

The pattern itself isn't on the designer's blog, only some corrections to typos in the printed copy. I found my copy of Inside Crochet at Chapters here in Canada. I'm not sure where you could find it in the U.S. I guess try stores that have a large selection of magazines and typically carry stuff from the UK? Not sure if this would work, but you could also try the "contact" link on this Inside Crochet page and ask about ordering the issue individually.